Asbestos Removal Canberra
Asbestos time-bomb at the heart of Australian housing boom. Are you starting to feel worried? Has it crossed your mind that the time-bomb might be hiding somewhere in your house?
Apparently, most houses in Australia have asbestos-containing material (ACM). This is caused by the booming demand of ACMs during post-war era, which is around 1945 until the end of the 1960s. Asbestos cement (fibro) in the form of a flat board was used for exterior and interior, such as in walls. The corrugated form was used in fencing and roofing products. Although in 2003 ACM products were totally banned in all over Australia, recent news informed that now these products are imported from outside Australia. Fibrous products are used in Australian housings and commercial buildings.
The fact that ACMs still exist demands all individuals, especially house owners or prospective buyers, to be alert of their existence. If the house was built or renovated around the mid-1980s, the possibility of being contaminated by fibre is high. For an initial action, you can check the history of your house. The information is going to be very useful in deciding the next step. Once you know that your residential building is one of those older homes, performing an ACM inspection and testing are highly recommended.
These are the steps, you are suggested to do, before finally removing fibrous material.
1. Survey: An ACM survey is an efficient method to identify the presence of fibrous materials. It is performed to identify the location, condition, type, and also risks. The information will be recorded in the form of a report called asbestos register. The register will detail the location of the site, the method applied, control plan, a rank of risk priority, and suggestions. Only a professional assessor will conduct this activity.
There are three types of surveys to identify fibrous products:
- Type 1 – Presumptive ACM inspection is an initial survey to determine suspected fibrous materials inside a building. A certified removalist will walk through the area, making a list of locations that are possibly contaminated by fibrous products.
- The advantage of type 1 survey is to estimate the amount of product containing fibre; therefore, it can save the removal cost.
- Type 2 – This type of inspection is also known as a sampling survey. The difference with type 1 is that this type of survey includes a sampling process. Later the material will be analysed in a NATA accredited laboratory.
- This test will help you save your money if the report shows that your house is free from any fibrous product. Which means that there is no need for demolition and removal.
- Type 3 – ACM audit aims to identify fibrous materials, therefore, they can be removed earlier and pose no risk. The builder will provide an ACM clearance certificate to make sure that there is no risk throughout the demolition or renovation project.
2. Abatement: It is a procedure to remove fibrous materials from a building. This is the most important and time-consuming process related to ACMs. Usually, it includes domestic or commercial demolition to remove all fibrous materials in a building.
3. Disposal: The waste containing fibrous product is very hazardous. The handling should only be done by an experienced removalist.
Can I Inspect ACMs Myself?
It is undeniable that fibre is undetected by a naked eye. Proper identification will require some expertise from a professional having undergone hours of training.
Even so, you can firstly check whether your house uses one of these building materials that suspected to contain fibrous product:
- Hardiplank wall covering
- Corrugated roof sheeting and fencing
- Eaves and soffit siding
- Internal sheeting
- Sheeting and capping on roofs
- Water/stormwater pipes
- Vent pipes
- Sheeting on gable ends
- Brick-pattern cladding
- Sheeting on gable ends
- Carport ceilings
- Millboard linings
- External wall cladding
Do It Yourself
Some are tempted to do DIY for removing the fibre. As a matter of fact, it is allowed by the regulations but the practice IS NOT highly Recommended. This fibre is extremely dangerous and poses health risks not only to you, but your family and your neighbours.
If you do DIY, you have to follow the guidance for a safe and clean asbestos removal. In addition, the only removal allowed for those who do not have a license is only for non-friable materials and when the area is not more than 10m2.
When working on removal of firmly-bound ACMs, you are urged to:
- Use disposable personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Double pack the material in thick (around 0.2mm), strong plastic bags
- Labeled the material as “toxic waste”
- Dispose all materials as well as the disposable kits, such as respiratory and overall at a permitted waste treatment center.
- Wash your body completely
Note: ACM requires to be transported immediately to a place that is allowed by the local council. Every council establishes its own regulations on how it receives toxic waste. Call your local council to know where you can disposed of toxic waste, conditions for disposal (for example, time of day, maximum time at one time) and how much the disposal will cost. The disposal of fibre waste in a domestic trash bin is considered illegal and the same rules applied for re-use and recycle of the material.
Remember! If the size of the non-friable is more than 10m2 or if the material containing fibre is loosely bound, contacting a licensed removalist is strongly recommended.
Why Do You Need Clear Asbestos Removal Canberra?
Previously it has been informed that you are only authorised to remove fibrous material that is not more than 10m2 in size. You never know how much fibrous products exist in your house. It could exceed 10m2. This is why you will be requiring our members’ services.
Clear Asbestos Removal Canberra is here to help you getting trusted contractors for asbestos removal Canberra projects.
We are ready to sort out your problem. We endorse trusted, local contractors. They have obtained certification for ACM removal works. They have years of experience in handling such projects in commercial or domestic buildings. You cannot just hire any random removalist. A valid license is important. Our members hold a valid B-Class license.
If you urgently need asbestos removal, our endorsed members are ready with excellent services. By requesting asbestos removal Canberra services, you have taken important decision for protecting your family and the surrounding environment.
Surely, many services, such as emergency repair, air monitoring, demolition, consultant, and soil remediation, will be needed to clean ACMs from your houses because each case requires special treatment.
There is no need for more delay. You are dealing with a time-bomb that might take the life of your precious ones. Never be worried about the prices. Each service is worth the money you pay. Clean and safe removal is what our approved contractors promise you. Another advantage you can get is that you can request not only one but three free quotes from our local contractors. So, call now and live free from fibrous materials.