Asbestos Testing Canberra
When it comes to asbestos, Australia has a long history of production and use of this fibrous material. Until the mid-1980s, Australia was one of the countries categorised as the highest users of this fibrous product per capita in the world. According to Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency, it is estimated that one-third of all houses built in Australia have fibrous products.
It can be found in fibro homes, brick, and weatherboard as well as clad homes. As a result, the widespread of some fibrous product use has left a life-threatening heritage on houses and constructions in Australia.
Why Do You Need Asbestos Testing Canberra?
Getting your residential building tested is really important. The most crucial among the many reasons are:
- Houses built before the mid-1980s have a high probability to be contaminated by asbestos-containing materials (ACMs)
- Residential buildings built between the mid-1980s and 1990 have a probability to be contaminated by ACM
- Houses built after 1990 are not likely to be contaminated by ACMs
The following news will help you to reassure yourself in making a decision to do the test.
This fibrous material, although in 2003 has been banned in all over Australia, recently was discovered in Perth’s children hospitals which induced for some tests in 68 buildings all over Australia including a cancer treatment center in Sydney. The material was supplied by a manufacturer in China. Now, you realise why you are strongly recommended to have your house tested.
Over the next 20 years, 40,000 Australian will be diagnosed with ACM-related diseases, according to a study. The peak is not forecasted until 2020 because the disease takes a longer period to become apparent.
For more information on the health risk related to this fibrous product, you can follow this link: Bernie Banton Foundation | The Reality of Asbestos
ACM in Your House
Where can you identify any fibrous product in your home? The fibre is literary everywhere in every corner of your house because there are more than 3000 various products containing ACMs. However, it is hard to identify the products in homes just by looking at them.
If your house was built or renovated before 1990, these are the potential locations of fibrous products in your home:
- Chimney flues
- Lining under eaves
- Electrical meter boards
- Imitation brick or weatherboard cladding
- Insulation in wood heaters
- Asbestos cement (AC) sheeting beneath heater hearths
- Garage and carports
- Dog kennels
- Garden sheds
- AC sheeting – internal and external walls, ceilings and floors
- Flat, patterned or corrugated wall and roof sheeting
- Lagging on hot water pipes
- Vinyl floor tiles
- Backing to cushion tile and vinyl flooring
How to Get ACM Testing Service?
There are two ways of getting your house tested. First, you can call a licensed assessor. Second, you can do it yourself.
There are many removalists offering ACM testing services. Beware! You should choose a trusted removalist, or you might experience some trickery done by mischievous contractors. The company may charge for ACM sampling and testing, but the sample is not tested in an accrdited lab.
DIY is permitted for testing, but you are suggested to read and follow the guidelines. Next, you have to have enough knowledge about this fibre.
There are two types of ACM:
- Friable – it is a material containing fibres that can easily be broken with hand. This type is HIGHLY DANGEROUS and only a professional with a license can handle this material.
- Non-friable – it is a solid material that cannot be crushed by hand. This type can be sampled using DIY home ACM sampling kits.
Below are instructions for DIY testing:
- Put on proper safety equipment
- Certified P2 ACM Mask (never use a regular mask for dust)
- Disposable plastic overalls
- Disposable rubber gloves
- Safety boots covered at top by overalls
- Use these following tools
- Chisel/Scraper/Large Screwdriver
- Spray water bottle
- Duct Tape
- Strong postbag
- Snap Lock bags (2 per sample at least)
- How to do sampling
- Wear overalls till it covers your boots
- Wear mask and gloves
- Sprinkle the working area with water
- Remove sample not bigger than 20cm piece
- Put sample in a snap lock bag and then secure it with duct tape
- Put the first bag into the second bag and seal
- Put the sealed bag into a secure postbag
- Fill in the form of Safe and Sound test
- Send the sample to the accredited NATA lab
Later, your sample will be examined under a polarized light microscope. The purpose is to identify the type of fibre exists in your home.
Commonly found fibrous products are:
However, if you want an accurate ACM test, you have to ask an expert to perform such jobs as they have experience and expertise needed. There are risks during sampling if you do not know how to remove the sample.
If you accidentally disturb a fibrous material while doing the process, the dust of the fibre might spread everywhere inside your house. This will not only hurt you but all the people in the house or your neighbours because once it releases into the air, people may inhale it.
Call the Expert
Before thinking of doing renovation, make sure you call an ACM testing expert. Do an initial inspection at your property. This precaution is urgently required to save you from being contaminated by any fibrous product.
There are various services related to fibrous product needed prior to renovation, including:
- Emergency repair
- Air monitoring
- Soil remediation
All these services are provided by contractors with an A-Class license.
The Advantages of Performing Fibre Testing
One of many advantages of doing an ACM testing is that you can plan beforehand and keep a clean and safe environment for you, your family, and neighbourhood. Furthermore, you can protect your building investment.
If you are looking forward to purchasing a property, a visual ACM inspection will help you in making a decision. Moreover, the testing will give you an awareness of some additional costs that might appear as the effect of the fibrous material existence.
Clear Asbestos Removal Canberra
You might be wondering what make you have to choose Clear Asbestos Removal Canberra for asbestos testing Canberra services? The answer is very easy. It’s because we can guarantee that you will be connected with trusted and reputable contractors.
We only endorse reliable and competent contractors. Our local contractors have followed a very tight test. Only those that have received training and obtained certification for handling such jobs in commercial and domestic buildings received our endorsement.
If you need asbestos testing Canberra services, don’t hesitate to contact our endorsed contractors. Our endorsed members will do the sampling in an accredited NATA lab and provide you with a complete report in the form of an ACM register.
The register will contain:
- Complete documentation regarding all potential areas suspected to be contaminated with fibrous materials
- Condition of the suspected areas
- Complete data of samples taken for sampling (including photos and locations)
- Test results from a lab accredited by NATA
- A management plan to deal with the findings of any fibrous product
Once you get the report, our approved members are also available to provide you with a control plan.
The Price is Right
You will not get the chance to complain. The prices are equal to the services provided, clean and safe result, because all the procedures conducted in compliance with local and national regulations. Even you will not have to worry about the disposal of all waste.
So, get that phone. Dial the number and get asbestos testing Canberra services now. Save yourself from hiring a dodgy contractor.